- Walk in a different way: slow then fast, big and little steps, march, walk backwards, be a train, ect.
- I talk about where we are going then say in a excited voice come on lets go. This works better the younger they are. It is getting hard to use this with Girlygirl.
- I let her know today you have to walk when we are out. When she wants me to hold her I nicely tell her "Remember you are a little girl now and little girls walk." (I don't say big girl because I needed her to understand that there is a difference between her and the kids I nannied. They can do more than her because the are big.)
- I know she can't walk that much so that helps knowing her limits. Walking into the store but needs to be able to get cart in the store. I do at time push her a little more then she is willing to do. (this does make her mad and often does cry out of anger but I try to stay up beat and encourage her)
- When all else fails I stand behind her and hold under her arms and make her walk to the place I said. (tip: don't make this fun. if the laugh or seem to like it stop and hold their hand and try walking in a fun way.)
Monday, February 16, 2009
terrible twos: Time To Walk
The comes a time when a mom can't or choices not to care her tot all the time any more. I like to teach Girlygirl when I say something I mean it. This is hard when it comes to her walking when I say. I try my best not to pick her up when I have told her she has to walk. In order to get her to walk I have to get her to think or do something else. Here are some examples of what I do: