Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Homeschool preschool: Table time!

Table time is something that I have start to bring into Girlgirl's day. I do it most the time when I am helping the big kids do work. We are all at the table then and she enjoys being with us. I give her a quite thing to play with. She will sit at the table for 30 min. She does two different things at table time things everyday. I don't just put something in front of her and walk away. I help her get started and show her what I would do. I then for the most part let her do her thing. There is no right or wrong way to play. Here is a list of things she does:
  • bean & rice bucket-I just got a small plastic bin from the Dollar Store and filled it half way  dried beans and rice. I put a few little cups, old caps (like from the milk) and a few brushes.  Some times I do add small toys in it too.
  • letter and number magnets- Again I got a small cookie sheet from the Dollar Store. I got a hug bag of letter and number magnets from a garage sale. With this one I often ask a big kid to sit with her and tell Girlygirl the letter and the sound. (this has helped Five learn her letter sounds)
  • other magnets- when at a toy store on our last vacation I found some old ball magnets Grilygirl loved them. I have add more to them now. I give her the container (a small cream cheese container) and the cookie sheet and let her play.
  • puzzles- We have gotten them as gifts, and passed down to us from friends with older kids. Girlygirl loves them. I give her one at a time and try to change them before she gets bored with it. When we do puzzles it is for the whole 30 min. but she gets about 5 different puzzles. (if you need to just go between a few it works good too.)
  • the jar-I will do a post  about what the jar is soon. But is a cookie jar filled with stuff I found around my house. No toys.
  • color-I sometimes just give her one pen and one paper and let her fill it up. Other times I give her a coloring book and her box of crayons. When she is really lucky I give her makers. (be ready for a mess with them)
  • books-I just give her two or three books to look at and play with. Hey maybe she will teach herself to read. (lol)
  • play dough-I use a place mate and try to get her to keep it on the mate. 
  • stickers-I don't do this much because of the cost buy Grilygirl loves it. I give her a few sheets of stickers and let her put them in her note book. Girlygirl is still young and can't get the stickers off if the background paper is still on. I take the background paper off all but one sheet. That way I can see when she doesn't need me to do this any more.
  • cards-I use a few different Sesame Street cards we have as well as a real deck of cards. It is fun for her. I am not sure why. We keep cards in her pack back too for when we are out.
  • beads-I bought a some big beads (made for kids) she can string them. Girlygirl is not really ready for this. If she does something for a long time I will bring them out for a few min (5 max). She gets mad because she can't do it.
  • lacing cards-we have truck ones that where given to us. I have not used them yet. I will let you know how it goes when we do.
I am sure there are many more things you can do. I will be adding to the list later in latter post if you add more things.  I will also be adding picture of Girlygirl at table time in the next few weeks. Keep you eye out for them.

2 comments:

OLINeBooks said...

Just a qucik note to inform you that this article has been included in the September issue of The Blog Carnival of Christian Family Information Exchange! Thank you and please continue to send us your articles. To browse through this edition go to:http://olinepublishing.blogspot.com/2008/09/september-edition-of-blog-carnival-of.html
Thanks
Theresa Twogood,Executive Director
OLIN e-Publishing Company
http://olin.tk
http://olinepublishing.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

There are many various hobby ideas and activities that you could enjoy either in your personal or as part of a group.
[url=http://www.listofhobbies.org/]rc trucks[/url]